Vegan Zucchini Lasagna – Light but comforting, this low-carb and low-fat dish can be made with just 5 ingredients and 10 minutes active time!
Tofu "ricotta" filling:
- 1 14 oz block of tofu
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
For the zucchini lasagna:
- 4 medium zucchini, sliced lengthwise (about 4mm in width)
- 16 no-boil lasagna sheets
- 32 oz marinara sauce
- tofu ricotta mixture from above
- (optional) fresh basil leaves for decoration.
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Slice the zucchini into long strips about 4mm in thickness using a mandolin or a knife.
How to make tofu "ricotta" filling:
- Place the tofu block inside a large bowl with a clean cheesecloth under it. Break up the tofu into smaller pieces using a fork.
- Drain the water out of the tofu by wrapping it in the cheesecloth and wringing it. You don't need to get all of the moisture out but you should find at least 1/3 cup comes out.
- Throw out the water from the tofu and place the dryer mashed tofu inside the bowl. Add the nutritional yeast, salt and pepper.
- Mix the tofu ricotta mixture until the nutritional yeast is well incorporated and the texture is crumbly.
How to layer and bake the zucchini lasagna:
- In a large rectangular casserole pan, layer the zucchini at the bottom.
- Add 4 sheets of no-boil lasagna on top of the zucchini.
- Spread a thin layer of marinara sauce on top of the no-boil lasagna sheets.
- Top the marinara sauce with a thin layer of tofu mixture.
- Repeat steps 2 to 5 twice more. At this point you should have three layers of each, with tofu being on top. Add a final layer of zucchini, lasagna and marinara sauce. Take the leftover marinara sauce and fill the gaps on the sides until your final product look like the above.
- Bake uncovered at 350F for 40 minutes.
- If you do not have a cheesecloth, you can simply mash the tofu with the fork and then use your hands to squeeze out the moisture. However, you will end up with a tofu mixture with more water.
- (Optional) Top slices with a fresh basil leaf each as decoration just before serving.
Keywords: lasagna, pasta, zucchini, tofu, vegan