Mushroom and Spinach Hemp Seed Toast – This 20 minute recipe is super easy to make and is packed with umami flavor! It's the perfect lazy and healthy brunch idea.
What are hemp seeds?
Hemp seeds are the seeds from the cannibis sativa plant, although they do not induce any mind-altering effects. They are generally perceived as a "superfood" due to their high protein, fiber and healthy fatty acid content. These light brown and beige seeds have a slight nutty flavor and can serve as a nutritious addition to baked goods, toasts and smoothies.
In this recipe, we will jazz up a simple mushroom and spinach toast with the addition of hemp seeds to give more texture and nutrition to the otherwise humble toast.
What do you need to make Mushroom and Spinach Hemp Seed Toast?
For this Mushroom and Spinach Hemp Seed Toast, you only need the following 5 ingredients!
- Mushrooms (I used baby bella/cremini mushrooms)
- Hemp seeds
- Toast from bread of your choice
- Tamari (or soy sauce)
You will also need the following equipment:
- 1 medium pan
How to make Mushroom and Spinach Hemp Seed Toast?
This Mushroom and Spinach Hemp Seed Toast is extremely simple to make, and can be made in 20 minutes.
- Heat up some oil in the pan, on medium heat.
- Cook the mushroom slices for 8-10 minutes until they have browned and are slightly soft.
- Add the tamari to the pan, coating the mushrooms throughly. Then add the spinach and let it cook for about 5 minutes. Turn off the heat and allow any excess moisture to evaporate.
- While the topping mixture is cooling, make the toast either in a toaster or on a grill.
- Top the toast with the mushroom and spinach mixture.
- Sprinkle with hemp seeds and serve!
Tips and tricks for the best Mushroom and Spinach Hemp Seed Toast:
There is not much to say about this toast other than the fact that it is extremely simple to make and really delicious hot!
You can add your own twist to this by:
- Make it a sandwich. Because of the very generous helping of the toppings, you could make this into a sandwich if you feel like it is too small of a portion size.
- Add chili flakes or hot sauce. Make this umami toast spicier by adding some heat!
This Mushroom and Spinach Hemp Seed Toast is...
- Made with just 5 ingredients!
- Packed with umami flavor
- Filling but easy on the stomach
- Super easy to make
- A great lazy weekend brunch idea!
Frequently Asked Questions:
- How long does this keep? Like any toast, I recommend eating this right away after making it. Otherwise the topping will cause the toast to become soggy.
- How big is the serving size? Although this recipe makes 2 toasts, each has a very generous pile of spinach and mushrooms. This recipe will serve 2 persons. I recommend halving the recipe if you are just cooking for yourself.
- Can I make it gluten-free? I used regular seeded sliced bread, but you can definitely use your favorite gluten-free bread! If the bread size is small, you may want to use two slices per person as the serving size is generous.
If your question isn't answered here, be sure to check out the comments section below. You might find the answer to your question down there. Otherwise, please leave a comment on this post so I can get back to you ASAP!
As always, thanks for reading!
Mushroom and Spinach Hemp Seed Toast – This 20 minute is super easy to make and is packed with umami flavor! It's the perfect lazy and healthy brunch idea.
- 8oz baby bella/cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 4 cups spinach, packed
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 slices of bread (gluten-free or otherwise)
- ½ tsp hemp seeds
- Place the oil in a medium pan and set it to medium heat.
- Cook the mushroom slices for about 8 minutes until their surfaces are soft and browned.
- Add the tamari and let it evenly coat the mushrooms. Add the spinach and cook until the spinach leaves have softened, for about 5 minutes. Check to see that the mixture has not much excess liquid. Turn off the heat and let the remaining moisture evaporate.
- While waiting for the mixture to cool, make the toast. If you are cooking the toast on a grill, make sure you do this earlier to prevent the mushroom and spinach cooling too much.
- Divide up the mixture between the two slices of toast and sprinkle with hemp seeds.
Keywords: spinach, mushroom, hemp seeds, toast, vegan